Friday 7 November 2008

Spicy Bitter Gourd (Palya / Upkari)


This is a simple recipe given to me by my mom. I like bitter gourd and mom taught me to reduce the bitterness from this veg and she successfully manages to do so unlike me . ;)

Ingredients
2 bitter gourds chopped coarsely
2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oil

Method
Add 1 tsp salt to the bitter gourds and allow it to stand for half an hour and later squeeze the water out of the gourds. Now heat oil and saute the onions till it starts turning golden brown and then add tomatoes and cook them for 2 mins. Add salt ,chilli powder and gourds, cover and cook till the gourds are tender. This may take about 15 mins. Serve this with rice or chappati.

No comments: