Thursday 18 December 2008

Dal and Roti

This is a very simple and common dish eaten in north india. And lately it has been quiet a popular dish even in south india and a cheap one too. During my college days , I would crave to eat this and pull a friend of mine to a near by fast food outlet and eat it. It was just 10 Rs per plate and I relished every bite of it and even eat from my friends plate . I tried this at home but the taste was never the same. I miss my food outlets in India.

Ingredients for Dal

1 cup cooked channa dal
a pinch of asafoetida
a pinch of turmeric
2 tsp ginger paste or finely minced ginger
2 -3 green chillies slit
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oil

Method

Heat oil in a saucepan and when the oil is hot, add cumin seeds. When the seeds stop spluttering add asafoetida, turmeric , ginger and gren chillies. Saute it for half a minute and then add cooked channa dal and about 1/4 cup of water and salt. Bring this to boil and cook the dal further till they are very tender and are easily mashed when taken between the fingers and crushed. This is ideally served with chappatis and rotis.

No comments: