Tuesday 7 July 2009

Spicy Mango / Mango palya






This recipe is from www.aayis.com with a slight variation. For the original recipe visit Pineapple Palya . Thank you for this awesome recipe. I am posting this recipe for the
Mango Mela competition hosted by Cooking for all seasons.



My variation includes ripe mango instead of pineapple and adding ingredients straight from cupboard instead of grinding into a powder (this was a cheat I used without compromising the taste). Believe me this dish will be a hit. This was the second time I made this within a week. Apparently I have ran out of mangoes else I wouldn't hesitate to make it tomorrow again.

Ingredients
1 ripe big mango diced with skin. (I have not used canned ones ever )
1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
3-4 curry leaves
1 tsp urad dal/ beaten black gram
a pinch of asafoetida / hing
1 tbsp grated coconut
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp black pepper powder
1/2 tsp sweetener/ sugar/ jaggery (I used sweetener for I am a health freak)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp water

Method
Heat oil , add mustard seeds . After they stop spluttering add urad dal, curry leaves , hing , red chilli powder , black pepper powder and coconut. Roast this for a minute or two till you get the aroma of the masala. Now add the diced mangoes , salt , sugar and water. Cook till the mangoes are tender , this would take about 10 mins. Serve this with steaming hot rice.


No comments: