Friday 9 January 2009

Homemade Apple Pie




I am a health freak so I try to avoid sugar, butter and too much of salt. I also substitute butter with vegetable il where ever possible. In this recipe I have not used sugar at all and substituted butter with oil. You coudl even use wholemeal flour instead of plain flour but I have used plain flour .
My husband has a sweet tooth and he relishes anything thats sweet and so he loves fruits more than veggies. Lately, he has been exercising to put down his weight and so I thought of treating him for this. I had some gala apples and had to finish them , this was an easy and quick way of finishing them.

Ingredients
3 apples (I have also used fuji apples. you can experiment with any apples) peeled , cored and sliced
1 tsp sugar (optional)
1 tsp rose essence
1 tbsp cinnamon powder

For dough
1 cup plain flour
a pinch of salt
1 tsp oil to brush
1/4 cup water

Method
Heat a pan and throw in all the sliced apples , sugar and rose essence. Cover it and cook it till the apples become mushy. Sugar will help it breakdown quickly. Allow it to cool.

Meanwhile make the pastry. mix all the dough ingredients and make a dough. Roll it and brush with oil. Fold it and again roll it and again brush with oil. Repeat this for 5 times. Then divide the dough into 1/3 rd and 2/3 rd parts. Roll the 2/3rds to fit into the baking tin . Brush the tin with oil and roll this pastry into the tin. Pour the apple sauce into the pastry. Now roll the other 1/3 rd part and use this to cover the pie. Prick the cover with fork to let the steam escape during baking. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon powder. Bake this in a preheated oven at gas mark 6 for about 20 - 30 minutes or till the pie is golden brown.

No comments: