Friday 19 February 2010

Batata Pohu ( Spicy rice flakes with potatoes)


Its been very long since my last post. I became pregnant and was feeling quiet tired and fatigued so could not cook for long in the kitchen . I was experiencing morning sickness as well and so cooking was a torture for me as the smell of curries and any cooked food would make me nauseated. But after whole 4 months , I am back to my original self ( still pregnant with a growing bump though). This dish is a very simple one and I cooked it quiet often during my 1st trimester. Its normally eaten either for breakfast or as an accompaniment with tea in the evening. It should be served straight from wok . I got this recipe from MIL . My mom also made this but I like my MIL recipe. Thanks to her.


Ingredients

1 medium potato boiled and sliced into small bite sized pieces (I don't like peeling them for nutritional reasons)
1 1/2 cup poha / rice flakes
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium sized onion sliced
3 medium hot green chillies
few curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp salt
handful of fresh coriander leaves to garnish

Method

Wash the rice flakes thrice and set aside for 5 mins. This will make the poha soft. Meanwhile heat a wok and add oil . When the oil is hot add mustard seeds , cumin seeds , urad dal, green chillies , curry leaves and onion. Saute the onions till they soften and to accelerate this process you can add salt with onions . This will make the onions cook faster. Now add turmeric and potato pieces. Stir it well and add the rice flakes / poha. Mix well and stir for a minute or two. Put of the heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.






No comments: